Herbert O’Hare began his career as a teacher in rural Ward County prior to going to the University of Minnesota to pursue a law degree. Upon completing his degree, he settled in Garrison, ND to practice law in 1905. He later opened a practice with Charles Staley in Garrison and practiced there for a number of years before moving to Bismarck.
During his time in Garrison he, along with others in the community, petitioned McLean County to incorporate the town of Garrison. He later went on to be a proponent for the division of McLean County in 1908 when both Stevenson County and Sheridan County divisions were proposed. O’Hare was named the county judge for the period of time that Stevenson County was being formed prior to the North Dakota Supreme Court ruling against the annexation of land for the creation of the County.
O’Hare moved to Bismarck in 1915 upon being appointed to bankruptcy referee for the southwestern district of North Dakota and later acted as city attorney as well. He opened his own practice in the First National Bank building where today stands BNC National Bank.
Along with Edward Cox, O’Hare is a founding partner of our Firm. He represented many local and national clients during his tenure and was active in the community. He was with the Firm for twenty years until his retirement in 1939.